[asapmembers] Arecibo Advocacy materials:Congressional visits

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Sun Apr 30 00:40:24 UTC 2017

																									6th March 2017

Dear ASAP Member,
	The visits on Capital Hill went very well last week.  Brett and Joanna
were able to visit most of the House members on the committee that is
responsible for science funding.  We concentrated on the Republican
representatives and had uniformly positive receptions.  In some cases the
staffers responsible for science issues were remarkably well informed—
a West Virginia staffer for instance completely understanding how the
GBT and Arecibo are complementary that that both need to be supported.

	We had gorgeous AO informational materials that Joan Schmeltz
has produced with help from the AO staff and a little also from ASAP.
The files are big, so I will not email them, but there are four pages of info
you can download here which are intended to be two front-and-back
flyers.  One has the "Recent" and "Legacy" discoveries front and back
and the other the "Arecibo v. Fast" and "Why Arecibo Radar similarly
configured.
	Please download these, run them off, and give them to colleagues
as appropriate.  You will find them interesting and clarifying.  In particular
the "Arecibo v. Fast" page corrects many misapprehensions about the
capabilities of the two instruments.
           	Best regards and many thanks,
                 	Brett and Joanna