[asapmembers] First Direct Reports from Arecibo after Hurrican Maria

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Mon Sep 25 00:51:25 UTC 2017

																						24th September 2017

Dear ASAP Member,
	We just got word that USRA has a satellite telephone at the Observatory,
and USRA Asst. Directory Joan Schmelz has been able to posts on her Facebook
page over the last day or so.
	So please find below a compendium of the posts since Hurricane Maria.
			Best regards,
				Joanna Rankin
					for the ASAP Board

The Arecibo Observatory
23 hrs ago ·

Still standing after #HurricaneMaria! We suffered some damages, but nothing that can't be repaired or replaced! More updates to follow in the coming days as we complete our detailed inspections. We stand together with Puerto Rico as we recover from this storm.#PRStrong

Todavía estamos aquí! Sufrimos daños relativamente menores! Proveeremos más información al completar nuestras inspecciones detalladas. Juntos con Puerto Rico mientras nos recuperamos de este huracán #PuertoRicoSeLevanta

Ing. Francisco Córdova
Arecibo Observatory Director

Joan Schmelz
Yesterday at 1:30pm ·
The Arecibo Observatory platform, post hurricane Maria. The long 430 MHz line feed broke off, as has been reported via ham radio contacts. You can compare this image with the standard pre-Maria photos. As is obvious, the platform is still suspended. No word yet on the damage up there.

Joan Schmelz
Yesterday at 3:05pm ·
Update from Gerrit Verschuur, who is sheltering at Arecibo Observatory. There were 39 inches of rain from Maria. About 20 panels of the telescope dish were damaged when the line feed fell. Winds reached 110 mph (150 mph in the city). Hospital on route 129 has collapsed. There is much damage along the Arecibo seafront road. The hospital on this road is sliding into sea. Water damage in the observatory control room and transmitter operations room. Multiple panels of the catwalk up to the telescope platform blew away during the storm. Crews are going to try to go up on Monday. No news yet on the instruments inside the Gregorian dome.

Joan Schmelz
6 hrs ago ·
Updates on Arecibo Observatory from various sources: The USRA satphone is at the site, so we now have direct communication. It finally stopped raining yesterday, and there was sun for the first time since pre-Maria. One road up to the site is currently passable. 12 m is damaged, but not destroyed, as was originally reported via ham radio. Most VSQ facilities, visitor center, and warehouse look to be in reasonable shape. HF dipoles look good. The HF transmitter room ceiling was punctured by a tree but still not too bad. There is flooding under the dish, but water levels are dropping. The platform and cables look okay from the ground. Maintenance may try to go up tomorrow. The staff who sheltered on site are doing relatively well – with water (AO has a well), power (they are conserving, waiting to see if a shipment of diesel can get to the site), and food (they appear to be well supplied for now). USRA staff have been slowly checking in, but communication is hard to impossible outside of San Juan and the observatory site (thank you, USRA, for that satphone!). I’ll continue to try to post updates as more information becomes available.

Joan Schmelz shared Gulf Puerto Rico's post.

Gulf Puerto RicoLike Page
17 hrs ·
Juntos ayudaremos a Puerto Rico a levantarse.Ya estamos en la calle repartiendo gasolina y diesel de día y de noche, llegando a dondequiera que las vias nos lo permiten.

Together We'll help Puerto Rico get up. We're already on the street handing out gasoline and diesel day and night, reaching wherever the tracks allow us.

Joan Schmelz shared a link.
3 hrs ago ·
Gerrit got back to our apartment today. The Flooding had receded and the roads were passable. Water did not get that far up and everything inside was okay!! His car, which he had to leave in the parking lot, was also okay, and he was able to drive it back to the observatory. And, a small sign of hope, there were people on the beach across the street!

Joan Schmelz shared a link.
4 hrs ·

San Juan mayor: 'There is horror in the streets'
Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz recounts the many struggles Puerto Rico's capital city is facing as it tries to regain its footing after Hurricane Maria.

·
streets'
San