[asapmembers] URGENT: An Advocacy Plea from ASAP Chair Héctor Arce and the Outreach Committee

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Sun Dec 5 22:27:59 UTC 2021

Dear ASAP Members,
    Exciting Opportunity:
    This past week,  House Rep. Jennifer Gonzalez-Colón (Republican from Puerto Rico) and
U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (Democrat from CT) introduced a bill in the House <https://mcusercontent.com/d6a3ffb3ab3887e80c6d965c4/files/cf86e5fd-41af-26c6-0280-2a75dc1772ff/12.1.2021_House_Resolution._Recognizing_the_contributions_made_by_the_305_meter_radio_telescope_at_the_Arecibo_Observatory.pdf> and the
Senate <https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/download/12221_-arecibo-observatory-resolution---text>, respectively in support of the Arecibo Observatory which encourages the National
Science Foundation (NSF) and other agencies to "study means of replacing the scientific
capabilities that were lost at the Arecibo Observatory, utilizing new state-of-the-art technologies
at the site."

    Your Help is Needed:
    We ask that you contact your Senators and Representatives to urge them to support this
important effort.

You can find out who your representative and senators are by going to:
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative <https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative>
and
https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm <https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm>

You can either email or call your representatives’ office. Below we provide a draft letter that
you can copy and edit as you wish (suggested places to personalize are marked in bold).