[asapmembers] Towards a New Arecibo Telescope -- Fri 6 May, 12:30-14:00 EDT (16:30-18:00 UT)

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Thu Apr 28 15:11:24 UTC 2022

Dear ASAP members,

Over the past several months, ASAP has hosted presentations covering science areas where a new and improved Arecibo telescope could have important impacts.  A variety of designs that would assist in achieving our science goals have been discussed, and the U.S. Congress has shown significant support for funding a new Arecibo instrument.

We are organizing a meeting of those interested in compiling a comprehensive list of science goals for a new Arecibo instrument, and in reaching a consensus design which will earn the support of our science communities and for which we can advocate in the U.S. Congress for funding.

A possible new Arecibo instrument should be put into context with other large new instruments.  We hope to retain Arecibo's historic flexibility, and, in addition to effectiveness for science, there are important time and cost constraints.

Anyone is welcome to participate.

Please join us on Friday, 6 May 2022, 12:30-14:00 EDT (16:30-18:00 UT) for a discussion on what a new Arecibo should be, and how to achieve a consensus design.

An invitation is appended below.  A Zoom link will be sent in the coming days.

With best regards,

Brett Isham
Eliana Nossa
Mike Nolan