[asapmembers] URGENT: "AO2: From Science to Design, 2", Wednesday, 8 June 2022, 11-12 EDT (15-16 UT) with Zoom link

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Tue Jun 7 14:02:49 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to everyone who joined us for the May 6 meeting about AO2.  We are writing now with the aim of preparing for a discussion in the next meeting, which will be on Wednesday, 8 June 2022, at 11:00-12:00 EDT (15:00-16:00 UT).  The Zoom link is:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://arizona.zoom.us/j/85705620602?pwd=ZENHR2lDdEtReU1Gc1k4RldJc3VRQT09 <https://arizona.zoom.us/j/85705620602?pwd=ZENHR2lDdEtReU1Gc1k4RldJc3VRQT09>

Meeting ID: 857 0562 0602
Password: 013604

Dial by your location
        +1 602 753 0140 US (Phoenix)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Find your local number: https://arizona.zoom.us/u/keCMODIOZs <https://arizona.zoom.us/u/keCMODIOZs>

Congress has shown support for the Arecibo Observatory.  As part of transforming that support into a commitment to fund a new AO, we need a consensus design for which to ask for funding, a design which includes what we need and want for current and future science, for all scientific areas of the AO.  At this meeting we will focus on progress towards reaching that consensus.

The recording of the previous meeting is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUZgmZy7iLA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUZgmZy7iLA>
and the slides can be found here:
https://areciboscience.org/Talks.html <https://areciboscience.org/Talks.html>

Design questions to be discussed at this meeting might be separated into several parts, such as:

-- The sinkhole, for which various options have been proposed, perhaps with greater sensitivity, increased southern pointing, observations out to 30 GHz, and extending the reach of planetary radar observations to Uranus.

-- Transmitters, perhaps including bands near or including 4 GHz, 400 MHz, 40 MHz, and 4 MHz (i.e. HF), with concurrent, collinear, CW, and bistatic operation.

-- Additional receiving sites for modern vector and MIMO (multiple in [tx], multiple out [rx]) configurations.

-- HF systems, perhaps including a high-power HF radar mode, and a separate low-power ionosonde and imaging radar.

Slides from several previous ASAP talks focus on ideas for new Arecibo systems:

Main single dish:
http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Nolan_20210902_dish.pdf <http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Nolan_20210902_dish.pdf>

Main rigid array:
http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Roshi_20210923_NGAT.pdf <http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Roshi_20210923_NGAT.pdf>

Multipurpose multistatic radar systems:
http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Isham_20220506_newAO.pdf <http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Isham_20220506_newAO.pdf>

Planetary radar systems:
http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Nolan_20220506_planetary.pdf <http://naic.edu/~isham/ASAP/talks/Nolan_20220506_planetary.pdf>

Science and design interact in both directions.  Slides from other ASAP talks discussing both Arecibo science and design can be found here:
https://areciboscience.org/Talks.html <https://areciboscience.org/Talks.html>

We as scientists can suggest but not dictate a design -- any design we propose will need a professional engineering evaluation, most likely some modification, and validation.  Engineering companies will likely also contribute valuable ideas for design improvements.

Please send us questions and comments you would like to see discussed at the meeting.  Questions may also be asked at the meeting.  We hope to see you there.

Best regards,

Brett Isham
Eliana Nossa
Mike Nolan