[asapmembers] Arecibo Observatory - US residents write your congresspersons

ASAP Secretary secretary at areciboscience.org
Tue Apr 11 16:51:07 UTC 2023

Dear ASAP members,

There has been some real progress and interest in the US congress about the Observatory, and the ASAP board would like to encourage all members to inform your senators / representatives about the situation at Arecibo. Attached is a sample letter that might be helpful to you. We have had good success talking to our Senators and Representatives, most of whom have been supportive, but they very much prefer to hear from their constituents. They *like* hearing from their constituents. Note that this letter has a lot of links to material that you may find of interest as well.

It would be helpful if you could let the board know (at this email address, secretary at areciboscience.org ) if you do this, but doing it is more important than telling us about it.

As a separate matter, the ASAP board is looking for an Astronomer to finish out the term of a board member who resigned due to a conflict. Anyone interested, please again respond to this email address.

Cheers,

-Mike Nolan

ASAP Secretary

For the Arecibo Science Advocacy Partnership board.