[asapmembers] Arecibo Observatory Needs Your Help

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Sun Jun 5 19:14:06 UTC 2016

Dear ASAP Member:

    Arecibo Observatory is in a dire and urgent funding situation, unlike any we have
ever seen.  We realize that you may have heard some or all of what follows, but the
immediacy of the situation indicates that we need the assistance of each and every
ASAP member in advocating for the Observatory immediately.  It is rumored that the
Observatory management contract will be extended for a further 18 months—that is,
only 18 months—so crucial decisions are now being made by the NSF.  Our responses
now may well be our best and last chance to affect the situation.

	The emergency situation is prompted by several recent major developments.  A
number of them are summarized in a May 23 NSF "Notice of Intent" in the Federal Register,
which requests input on four proposed future paths for the Observatory, including "mothballing"
and "deconstruction."  It also cites the recent NSF Atmospheric and Geospace Science
Portfolio Portfolio Review recommendation for a ~75% funding cut to the Observatory's
Space and Atmospheric Sciences program (See ref.1 below for a link to the Notice.)

	The Notice provides two avenues for us to have input into the process, and it is
these paths that we ask you to pursue (details are provided in ref. 1):

1. NSF "Environmental" hearings in Puerto Rico on June 7 (in little more than a week!).
We urge any of you who are able to attend in either San Juan (930-1130 AM) or Arecibo
(6-8 PM), please do so!

2. An NSF call for letters concerning the Observatory to be sent by June 23 (less than
a month from now).  We believe it is crucial that ASAP members and their students and
colleagues create and send many letters of support by that deadline.  We, the ASAP Board,
are writing our own letters of support and will shortly make samples available to ASAP
members, along with related suggestions.

	Finally, if you have any urgent questions or suggestions that are not covered
above or in reference 1, feel free to contact the ASAP board at board at areciboscience.org ,
or any member thereof.  (A roster of board and regular members can be found at
http://areciboscience.org/WhoAreWe.html   )

With many thanks,

The ASAP Board