[asapmembers] Arecibo Observatory Needs Your Help This Week!

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Wed Jun 15 15:41:07 UTC 2016

Dear ASAP Member,
	We here follow up on the letter we sent to you about a week ago below.
We ask you to write a letter to the National Science Foundation, Division of
Astronomical Sciences (NSF AST) at this email address envcomp-AST at nsf.gov
keeping in mind the considerations outlined below.
	Your letter must be received by Thursday, June 23, 2016.
	The NSF AST must evaluate the environmental consequences of any major
change they make to the Arecibo Observatory according to a formal process
that results in an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).  This process does not
consider the Observatory's science directly.  Rather the legal EIS concerns are air quality,
biological resources, cultural resources, geological resources, solid waste generation,
health and safety, socioeconomics, traffic, groundwater resources and a few others.
	However, the several actions below from which the NSF is selecting are utterly
crucial to AO's future as specified in the Federal Register notice in the link below—
	• Continued NSF investment for science-focused operations (No- Action Alternative)

	• Collaboration with interested parties for continued science-focused operations

	• Collaboration with interested parties for transition to education-focused operations

	• Mothballing of facilities (suspension of operations in a manner such that operations could resume efficiently at some future date)

	• Deconstruction and site restoration

The EIS process is expected to take about 18 months to completion.  The NSF AST
expects to call at least one additional public meeting during this time.  Simultaneously,
the NSF will be considering management concepts as suggested in "Dear Colleague
Letter" replies (see the ASAP website for ASAP's reply earlier this year).  Apparently
NAIC will be funded through this 18-month period, whereas any further funding will
depend on the outcomes of the NSF EIS and accompanying processes.  Clearly, this
is a most serious threat to AO's future and continued operation.  We must respond to
the EIS and take every opportunity to advocate for the Observatory in other venues.

	Therefore, please write your letter in a manner that is compatible with the NSF call.
Science can be included because it cannot be separated from culture, education and
socioeconomics.  We attach below a few example letters to give you models and guidance.

	Again, please email your letters to the email address above by a week from tomorrow,
Thursday, June 23rd.  We would also be delighted if you would separately (not a cc on the
NSF email) send your letters to the ASAP Secretary.  ASAP may well have other uses for
these letters as the EIS process continues.

			Thank you very sincerely for your ASAP membership and for your efforts on
behalf of the Arecibo Observatory,

					The ASAP Board