[asapmembers] Further Vigils for Arecibo schedule/links, Tuesday, Thursday 4 pm, Nov. 24, --, Dec 1, 3 ....

Joanna Rankin Joanna.Rankin at uvm.edu
Mon Nov 23 21:07:27 UTC 2020

Dear All,
As agreed we will meeting again tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 24th at 4 pm ET,
and meetings are proposed on a TTh schedule into the next weeks as needed.
Please see the link and call-in number just below.

Again please share the meeting link to others if you see somehow that they
have been missed.

Please also see the proposed agenda that has been assembled on the google
doc below.  Other items for tomorrow could be added as Other Business.

Then, please see the several other links and petitions below.  Many thanks to
Sondy for collecting and organizing this information.

If the meeting is well attended tomorrow, we will need it to be facilitated to do
justice to the proposed agenda.  If you have facilitation experience, please send me
an email so this can be organized.

Best regards and thanks,
Joanna

Video link for Tuesdays and Thursdays going forward (no meeting 11/26):
https://arizona.zoom.us/j/89228635901
call-in number: +13462487799,,89228635901#
(no password; screen sharing is enabled and everyone is muted by default upon joining)

Proposed agenda for Tuesday
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oN5B18xXzWf_zinfPK-leT5GUyStXHHYZc50-rxeEtU/edit

Friends of Arecibo Agenda 11/24/20

  1.
Update on stabilization efforts (15 min)
  2.
Discussion of public campaign message (35 min)
     *
Discuss options. Reverse NSF decision? Funding for a new telescope? More vague?
     *
Audience
        *
US government:
           *
Jennifer González (resident commissioner)
           *
US Rep Darren Soto (FL-9)
     *
Timeline
     *
Helping the press to make a case for Arecibo: What makes the Arecibo Radio Telescope unique?  Why is it irreplaceable?
        *
Write media kit/post on ASAP page
  3.
Vote on message or whether to poll AO users (10 min)
  4.
AOB
  5.
Future of ASAP (5 minutes)
  6.
Book proposals on the history/future of Arecibo (University of Arizona press is interested) (5 minutes)

       7.  Approve further meeting schedule

Other business?

Arecibo's greatest (Top 10 + Top 3 recent) achievements per science branch, that we can share with reporters and the general public. Arecibo's legacy needs to be accessible and clear to everyone now more than ever. I hope thinking of the glory of the past will also inspire everyone for future ideas. Edit the list here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gXV3ORJpnk3-S-cnQqOKbhdZg-gQrdkSBeROBrQudaI/edit?usp=sharing

There is a Slack for discussion between meetings, sharing images/developments, and to come up with focused actions.
https://join.slack.com/t/arecibomaria/shared_invite/zt-j60u0cmq-GvqSMxoNpi11XLbUSsxNJw

There are two petitions circulating, information is from Allison Smith, AO staff:
The petitions below were started by the general public & UPR students-- staff are supporting it. Jenniffer Gonzalez also requested the House & Senate Appropriations Committee to provide funds for repairs so it could help to write, call, urge the committee to approve it. Or contact them with different requests on AOs behalf.
Petition to NSF to stabilize and fix the observatory: (started by someone we don't know!)
https://www.change.org/p/united-states-national-science-foundation-nsf-repair-the-arecibo-observatory-do-not-decommission-it
Petition to congress to provide funds and enforce emergency action: (started by UPR students)
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/petition-emergency-action-evaluate-and-stabilize-arecibo-radio-telescope