[asapmembers] ASAP Member Newsletter, August 2021

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Thu Aug 26 14:47:48 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,
	Your ASAP is again alive and active to defend and advocate for the Arecibo Observatory!
In this Newsletter, we will—
     —Give the results of the recent Board election and the status of the committee formation
     —Preview the new series of presentation/discussions on new Arecibo instruments
     —Update you on ASAP Advocacy/Outreach activities, some of which please join!

ASAP Board Election and Committee Formation
	As many of you will be aware, ASAP members were invited to nominate colleagues for
the ASAP Board as well as giving suggestions for committee members.  Your suggestions
were assembled and potential nominees contacted to make sure they were willing to serve
on the new Board.  ASAP members were then invited to vote on the slate of Board nominees
during the third week of July, and the participation was remarkably high for this high summer
timing.
	The results of the election are then as follows—
     —Radio Astronomy:  Héctor Arce and Robert Minchin
     —Planetary Science: Anne Virkki and Michael Nolan
     —Atmospheric Science: Eliana Nossa Gonzalez and Eframir Franco-Diaz
These new electees will be joined by three continuing members of the old Board who will
serve a further year to assist with the transition:  Amy Lovell, Brett Isham and Joanna Rankin.
Annual elections are then planned of three Board members to three-year terms.
	In addition, three colleagues have volunteered to represent for standing committees on
the Board: Nicole Lloyd-Ronning, Advocacy/Outreach Committee; Natalia Lewandowska,
Admin/Infrastructure Committee; and Mayra Lebron, Puerto Rico Liaison Committee.
	PLEASE NOTE:  The committees as well as the AO 2.0 Committee are in the early stages
of formation and all need energy, ideas and assistance.  Please write to Nicole <mailto:lloydronning at unm.edu> if you could help
with Advocacy/Outreach, Natalia <mailto:nlewandowska at posteo.net> for Admin/Infrastructure, and Mayra <mailto:mlebronsantos3 at gmail.com> for the PR Committee.  In
particular, Admin/Infrastructure needs help with:
	—designing/managing its website
	—membership development and management
	—social media outreach
	—establishing ASAP’s organizational legal and financial structures
	If you are interested in the AO 2.0 Committee, please participate in the series of “lunchtime”
presentation/discussions that started last week with AO Director Francisco Cordova.  Further
events in this series will be announced shortly.

AO 2.0 Presentation/Discussion series
	ASAP is planning a series of “lunchtime” presentations/discussion to continue the discussions
began during the NSF Arecibo Futures Workshop in June about new instruments for Arecibo.  The
first talk by NAIC Director Francisco Cordova attracted about 100 participants and was very well
received (A summary of the talk is attached below, and the full talk can be ).  Further
events will be announced shortly that will follow directly from the NSF Workshop but now give the
presenters time for more detailed presentations and participants opportunity for questions and
comments.
	The next event is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 2nd by Michael C. Nolan (Former Arecibo
Observatory Director and Planetary Radar Head)
Title: Arecibo 2.0: The Legacy Instrument is the Prototype (NSF Workshop Team 18 report).
57 years of operation, is likely the fastest and least expensive option to regain full scientific
productivity and meet the scientific goals of the community.
Zoom Link: Will be announced 24-48 hours before the event.

Update on Advocacy/Outreach Committee Activities
	The ASAP advocacy and outreach committee has led and taken part in various activities this
summer. Below we give a summary of these activities.  You can multiply these efforts by joining
in the Congressional letter-writing campaign below in your Congressional district.

	• American Institute of Physics (AIP) Venture Fund proposal: At the beginning of June
we submitted a pre-proposal to the AIP Venture fund <https://www.aip.org/aip/member-benefits/venture-fund> with the goal of funding an outreach and
advocacy campaign focused on the Arecibo Observatory. For this, we partnered with Boricuas  <https://www.budpr.org/>
Unidos en la Diaspora (BUDPR) <https://www.budpr.org/>, a national advocacy organization which builds bridges between
Puerto Rican civil society and federal lawmakers through an educative, academic and social
justice lens. The main goals of this project will be to develop and implement a consensus-based
outreach plan to decision-makers that advocates for the Observatory’s future and expands on its
unmatched legacy of fostering world-class science and scientists.  We were invited to send a full
proposal, which we submitted in mid-July. We are waiting to hear on the decision of our AIP Venture
fund proposal.

	• Letter writing campaign to Congresspeople:  We started a letter writing campaign
towards the end of June to urge Congress to provide funds for the design and construction of
a new Arecibo telescope. The Senate had just passed the US Innovation and Competition Act
(known as the Endless Frontier Act in Congress), which included funding for various STEM
activities that were conducted by the legacy Arecibo telescope and would be conducted with
a new telescope. We asked ASAP members and Arecibo Observatory supporters to write
letters to their representatives (see here <https://www.cienciapr.org/es/forum-topic/aboga-por-el-observatorio-de-arecibo-ante-el-congreso-de-eeuu-contact-us-congress-and>). It is still not too late to write to your representatives
as the bill has yet to be discussed in Congress. We urge all Arecibo supporters to help with
this. An example letter and instructions on how to contact your representative can be found
here <https://www.cienciapr.org/es/forum-topic/aboga-por-el-observatorio-de-arecibo-ante-el-congreso-de-eeuu-contact-us-congress-and>.

	• Congressional Briefing: In collaboration with Boricuas Unidos en la Diaspora (BUDPR) <https://www.budpr.org/>
we organized a congressional briefing titled Arecibo 2.0 and Science Competitiveness. The
briefing was conducted by a panel of three: Héctor Arce (representing ASAP and the
Coalition Radio Scientists from Puerto Rico), Francisco Cordova (director of the Arecibo
Observatory), and Carlos Padín (former chancellor of the Ana G Mendez University in
Puerto Rico and PI of Education and Outreach Programs at the Arecibo Observatory). The
briefing was moderated by Frances Colón (a Science, Diplomacy and Policy expert). The
briefing was sponsored by the offices of Reps. Nydia Velázquez (NY), Rosa DeLauro (CT)
and Sen. Richard Blumenthal (CT).  Francisco mainly talked about the Next Generation
Arecibo Telescope concept and how this proposed telescope would help the US maintain
its leadership in space situational awareness, planetary defense, radio astronomy, and
planetary science. Héctor discussed the scientific, educational and cultural importance
of the Arecibo Observatory to Puerto Rico, the U.S. and the world. Carlos talked about
the education and outreach programs at the observatory and their importance for promoting
STEM education in Puerto Rico.  After the panel members spoke, there was a questions
and answers session. The briefing was attended by about 20 congressional aides from
different offices.

	• AAS Special Sessions: We submitted proposals for two Special Sessions to be held
at the upcoming January AAS meeting in Salt Lake City.  The first, entitled The Arecibo
Observatory REU Program - a Career Launchpad, will focus on the legacy of AO’s
unparalleled REU program.  It will feature talks by former AO REU students, spanning
a wide range of career stages and research areas, about their current research, education
and/or outreach efforts, and about how their AO REU experiences shaped their career
paths. It will also feature a video of AO REU alumni reflecting on their experiences
(including many who work outside astronomy and/or have left academia and would have
not otherwise been able to participate). The second, entitled The Arecibo Observatory,
An Engine For Science and Scientists In Puerto Rico And Beyond, will begin with a
short talk by Francisco Cordova on the status of AO Education and Public outreach.  We
will then transition to a panel discussion, including Carlos Padin, Noemi Pinilla-Alonso,
Abniel Machin, and Kevin Ortiz Ceballos, on the broader impact of the AO Education and
Outreach and prospects for the future.  The sessions are co-organized by Nicole Lloyd-Ronning,
Marcel Agüeros, and Anil Seth.

	• AAS Plenary Talk: We nominated Hector Arce to give a plenary talk at the upcoming AAS
meeting in Salt Lake City in January, with a focus on the Arecibo Observatory, its scientific
impact, and its importance to astronomy in Puerto Rico and worldwide.  The AAS accepted
and invited Hector to be one of the featured plenary speakers <https://aas.org/meetings/aas239/speakers> at the upcoming AAS meeting.

		Best regards and wishes,
			ASAP Secretary