[asapmembers] Urgent ASAP Advocacy Opportunity

secretary at areciboscience.org secretary at areciboscience.org
Wed May 25 16:57:50 UTC 2022

Dear ASAP Members,
    As you may know, the Conference Committee members for the US Innovation and Competition Act <https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/1260> /America COMPETES Act <https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/4521> have been announced. You may recall these are the Senate and the House versions, respectively, of bills to provide funding to keep the US at the forefront of global science and technology development. Several of the areas supported by the current versions of these bills are in line with work conducted at the Arecibo Observatory. You can click on the links to find the list of Conference Committee members:  Democrat House list <https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/4722-2>, Republican House list <https://www.republicanleader.gov/leader-mccarthy-announces-china-legislation-conferees/>,  Senate Democrat list <https://www.democrats.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/schumer-announces-senate-democratic-conferees-to-jobs-and-competitiveness-bill-conference>, Senate Republican list <https://www.republicanlea/>.  Members of the conference committee will resolve differences from each chamber's bill into one final bill.

  Now is the time for us to reach out to our Senators and Representatives to advocate for Arecibo Observatory's future!  Although it will be particularly important for constituents of the Conference Committee members to contact these members of Congress, it will certainly be helpful for all of us to contact our Representatives and Senators and let them know the necessity of a future Arecibo Observatory.

  After stating the need for a future Arecibo Observatory, please ask that money be allocated for the AO in the COMPETES act.  In particular, we are asking for $12 million for a design study to be done to determine the best, most competitive and groundbreaking future instrument for the site.

 A sample email you can use is included after our signature (please personalize!). Sam Myers has put together a 1-page, visually pleasing "leave-behind" document that summarizes our main points, attached to this email.  Please don't forget to attach this to the email to your Senators and Representatives!!

Sincerely,
 The Advocacy and Outreach Committee

EXAMPLE EMAIL:

Dear Senator XXX or Representative XXX,

 I am a XXX at XXX and a resident of XXX in XXX. I am writing to you today to ask that you consider the allocation of funds for a future Arecibo Observatory to be included in the final version of the US Innovation and Competition Act/America COMPETES Act bill.  In particular,  we are asking that Congress allocate $12 million for a design study to determine the best, most competitive, and groundbreaking future instrument for the site in order to ensure that the U.S. stays at the forefront of radio science and of planetary defense efforts.

There is no dispute about Arecibo's unparalleled contributions to astronomy, planetary science, and atmospheric science. This has been made clear through numerous reports, articles, and decadal surveys, as well as by the recent unanimous passing <https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2022/2/english-espa-ol-rubio-blumenthal-colleagues-applaud-senate-passage-of-resolution-recognizing-contributions-of-puerto-rico-s-arecibo-telescope> of a Senate Resolution <https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/a2b92f61-0d1c-41c0-a9d6-a33d7df9829d/3F59CD40827FD386D294304E2513F74A.2.22arecibotelescoperesolutiontext.pdf> that encourages the NSF "to study means of replacing the scientific capabilities that were lost at the Arecibo Observatory, utilizing new state-of-the-art technologies at the site".

 The recently released National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine Planetary Science and Astrobiology Decadal Survey <https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/26522/chapter/1> report, titled "Origins, Worlds, and Life: A Decadal Strategy for Planetary Science and Astrobiology" finds that "the loss of the Arecibo Observatory planetary radar program has resulted in a significant gap in solar system observations, particularly in support of planetary defense."  Restoring radar capabilities at the Arecibo Observatory is absolutely essential for ensuring the ability of the U.S. to maintain a strong planetary defense infrastructure.

 Additionally, the disciplinary science panel of the recent National Academies Decadal Survey on Astronomy and Astrophysics <https://www.nationalacademies.org/our-work/decadal-survey-on-astronomy-and-astrophysics-2020-astro2020> (Astro2020) found Arecibo "irreplaceable", offering "unique capabilities for addressing a number of key high-priority science questions", and found that Arecibo played a crucial supporting role in addressing many others.  Another key Astro2020 goal is to enhance community engagement with astronomy. Arecibo's Ángel Ramos Foundation Visitor Center "has been a model for this" with its outreach to hundreds of thousands of Puerto Ricans and visitors, its "promotion of demographic diversity in STEM" and "its impact on post-secondary education."  Arecibo's profound impact as inspiration to people around the world is clear.  A small collection of personal tributes that convey this deep impact can be found here <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI17e3NmBrgp2hDV4F_zHu-YlEKX3r22r>.

 It is clear that the loss of Arecibo's capabilities will significantly impact the ability of the U.S. planetary and astronomy communities to remain competitive in addressing our planetary defense needs as well as high-priority science questions.  The loss is also a major setback to the earliest-career scientists who have depended on this facility to launch their careers.

This has made the need for these funds to be allocated for a design study even more urgent.  Please see the attachment for a summary of our key points and request and thank you very much for your consideration.

Your salutation.